Thursday, February 17, 2011

Questions Parents Dread

As a parent there are certain questions that are difficult and/or uncomfortable to answer. You know the ones
  • Where do babies come from
  • Why do boys have penis's
  • Whats a period etc etc

Tonight as I'm working on my Foto Friday my little Taylor runs in my room crying her eyes out and lands in my arms. She is saying "I don't want to die". It was a really sad moment and one that left me lost for words for a long time, Chris came in and told her it wont be for a long, long long time and sent her off to bed. Which set off more tears, so we sent Daddy back off to study in the living room while Mummy handled the situation. She said "everyone dies when they get old and I don't want to die". The question is telling a scared child a few white lies because 'you just don't know' a bad thing? I told her after she has had the most perfect life and had kids and they have kids and when you are very old you will go to heaven.

T- But I don't want to die

K- But you will be the same person but you will be up in heaven, you will be with all your family and friends but you will have a bonus because God and Jesus will be your neighbour.

T- Big huge smile (Taylor LOVES God and Jesus). But will I come alive again? (Tears filling up again)

K- Yes you will, every person that is a good person throughout their lives and makes great choices, get put back in the stars. You will be in heaven and all the wonderful, brilliant things about you will go back into a star and you will be born again.

T- Will you adopt me again (love how she said that)

K-Yes, you will be born to me again and you will be a little tiny baby, for little tiny toilets (quote from Despicable Me movie that Taylor loves and found very funny).

So I'm not sure where the question came from, or why she was even thinking about it but I dread questions like that, mainly because I have to answer questions and don't really know the answers. My priority was to reassure her that everything was going to be OK and tell her what my beliefs were. I hope I did right by my little girl tonight, I laid her back to bed and gave her some happy thoughts to think of while falling asleep. (Nanny and Grandad are coming in a few months with Uncle Rob, Auntie Sam and M.A.D.D.I.E.) So she fell asleep with a smile.

2 comments:

  1. That is tough. I think you just have to answer from your heart and give the answer you think your child can best handle.

    Javien has asked me once when he would die and I just told him I didn't know and he was happy with that answer. He often (weekly maybe more?) asks me when I am going to die and what he will do when I die. I also tell him I don't know but I hope that it won't be for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great kerry, you answered from the heart, and thats all you can do I love you. xx

    ReplyDelete