Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bonding

So my job has been interesting to say the least, I started 6 months ago but now it really feels like I belong. I was put with a student that has terrible anger issues.  He is violent and has a mouth that you would hope no 8 year old uses like him. I have been his 1:1 since the first month and I can say that I did not enjoy my job most days. I was hit, kicked, spat at, cursed at etc. My spirits were low, very low. I cried many times at work, lost in a pool of tears in the principles office, locked into the bathroom talking to Chris about the flesh that was hanging from my arm. Telling my Mum to encourage me to stay with it because I wanted to leave so bad.

Something in me didn't want to give up on him, why? I didn't know at the time, maybe everyone had given up on him and he needed me, and I didn't know it then but I needed him. Over the last few months we have bonded, we have our bad days of course but that's OK. I am proud to say he no longer is as violent as he was 6 months ago. He rarely uses bad language, this is HUGE. He hardly ever hits out, and when he does its not as angry as before and guess what?! He says sorry......

He now hugs me, holds my hand and is obviously happier when we are together. We have worked so close together I think he really does feel safe. I hold him accountable for his actions, I talk to him, I play with him. He melted my heart the other day, he came up to me in the hallway and held my face in his hands and said "I Love You" he lent his forehead on mine and closed his eyes for a second and then ran off. The teacher and I were left with our mouths open and starring at each other. He is changing, I'm so proud of him, I am so so glad I didn't run away from him, I love him too!!!

Check this picture, first.. This boy is so smart and can draw things from memory. He can write large words starting with the last letter and it is spelt correctly. So I asked him to draw me a picture, and I LOVE it. Let me explain a little as this has a lot of meaning (I may have lost all my readers at this point but its exciting to me.)

It has my name, and I love you
 The man with the umbrella is from a book I read to him, the man cant work his umbrella and he gets all wet, He laughs and laughs.
 My creative boy, not just a C, look at the wing and the HICK next to it making it a chick:-)
 This is lightening McQueen with fire coming out as he is going too fast.
That's all!!

3 comments:

  1. That really is brilliant! :) Not just his progress, but his progress because of YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, though we have had many chats and tears over this little boy. It's really hard for a mum who is so far away to hear and feel her daughter so upset and deflated. But Kerry u have never given up on anyone that needs you and I no if you had walked away you would have felt even more deflated, I know u don't always get the support u need at work this is something I feel needs addressing from time to time it's obvious this child love's and needs you. I love you so much for being you ( I DID A GOOD JOB) lol x xx

    ReplyDelete